Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fondant Cakes . . . . .alot of work

Last August my youngest daughter Shelby brought me a picture of a beautiful cake decorated with fondant that she wanted me to replicate for her birthday, only in different colors.  Well, I had never worked with fondant, but I have decorated cakes alot, and I had been watching cake boss, it didn't look that hard.  So off I went to find some of the supplies I needed for the cake.  After looking around a bit, I wasn't too sure exactly what kind of fondant to use, the fondant was pretty expensive to buy and I had heard it didn't taste all that good, so I decided to consult my good friend at work, Ruth.  Ruth has made lots of cakes, she's an expert.  Sure enough, although she hadn't done a whole cake with fondant, she had worked with it and had a recipe and some good tips.  To make a long story a bit shorter, Ruth ended up making some fondant to decorate part of a cake and she offered to give me what was left.  Yippy, one headache out the window.  By this time I was getting pretty confident, I had read some stuff online just to educate myself and see what I might be facing.  I decided to make the cake early and freeze it, that makes it a little easier to work with.  About 2 days before her birthday, I'm ready to start.  You can see by the pictures, it was beautiful, it only took me about 6 hours to complete . . . .holy hannah I was tired and let me tell you, I was not about to let anyone, I mean anyone birthday girl included, cut that cake, it was a masterpiece and if I had the means I would have made a bronze statue out of it.    Shelby loved it, thats what was important, she didn't want to cut it either, but after a few days, the cake started shrinking inside the fondant, and well it just didn't look the same, so we finally cut it.  It didn't taste as good as a cake made with good ole buttercream frosting, but for Shelb, it was a good memory.  For me . . . . .  It will be a long while before I make a fondant cake again, if ever.  It was like childbirth, it may take me a while to forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment